Hi Many of you have came across a situation where you have to migrate your Magento website , from one server to another or from localhost to server. So this post is to assist you in migrating your Magento website.
So here we go
So folks i will start from assuming that you have your file’s as well as database backup with you.
- Upload your file’s backup to your server or vice the versa (If you are trying to run the file on localhost)
- Now import your .sql backup file into (server/localhost) PHPmyadmin.
- Now next step is to modify your database connection and provide right credential’s to the server. This can be modified by going into app/etc/locale.xml file. “locale.xml” file act as a config file for Magento. Enter the correct username, password & database name in locale.xml file.
- After modifying locale.xml file try to run your project. What you get??
- Last but not the least Refresh your cache and re-index your data by accessing Index Management & Cache management modules.
Your website will be redirected to old url. This is because we haven’t updated our path to the project. Magento stores the path/URL in one of its database table named “core_config_data”.In core “core_config_data” Search for column name “web/unsecure/base_url & web/secure/base_url” and modify these columns to your original root domain http://www.newdomain.com/ in case of localhost it will be http://localhost/projectname/
Note* Do not forget to add forward slash (/) at last of the URL otherwise your website CSS will not be accessible by Magento.
Cheers! You have successfully migrated your Magento website without any Glitches & Errors.